The skin is sometimes called the bodily mantle. The mantle has a great resemblance with skin. A mantle is:
1. Clothing; a loose, cloak or cape; one of the first constructed pieces of clothing made by modern men originally made out of animal skin;
2. Something that covers, envelops, or conceals;
3. To spread or cover a surface, as a blush over the face;
4. An outgrowth of the body wall that lines the inner surface. As the border between the self and the world;
5. "Movable shelter for soldiers besieging a fort."
Source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/mantle (derived 23-3-2016)